The City of Ward Council acts as the legislative branch of our government, as well as its policy-making body. The Council looks to our community's goals, major projects and infrastructure improvements ranging from community growth to land use to finances and strategic planning. The Council's goal is to do the very best to represent their constituents after they've seen to the needs of the city as a whole.
The City of Ward is divided into three (3) separate Voting Wards with two (2) council members representing each Ward for a total of six (6) Council Members. Council Members are elected to office every two-year on an at-large basis. Election occur each even-numbered year (i.e. 2020, 2022, etc).
Duties of the Council Members
- Enacts ordinances and bylaws concerning municipal affairs that are consistent with state law in order to promote the health, safety and welfare of the public (A.C.A. §§ 14-55-102; 14-43-602).
- Has the management and control of the city finances and all real and personal property belonging to the city (A.C.A. § 14-43-502).
- Adopts a budget by ordinance or resolution for operation of the city or town by February 1 of each year (A.C.A. § 14-58-202).
- Sets the procedures by ordinance for making purchases that do not exceed the sum of $35,000 in cities of the first class, except as provided in A.C.A. § 14-58-104. Councils in cities of the second class and in towns may set procedures for making purchases, except as provided in section 14-58-104 (A.C.A. § 14-58-303(b)).
- Sets the time and place for regular city council meetings (A.C.A. § 14-43-501). All meetings should be open to the public in accord with the state Freedom of Information Act (A.C.A. § 25-19-106).
- May override the mayor’s appointment and removal of department heads by a two-thirds vote of the total membership (A.C.A. § 14-42-110).
- May override the mayor’s veto by a two-thirds vote (A.C.A. §§ 14-43-504; 14-44-107; 14-45-105).
- Calls for a special election in cities of the first class to fill the vacancy of the unexpired mayor’s term of office if the unexpired term is for more than one (1) year (A.C.A. § 14-43-401(b)).
Council Member Ward 1, Position 1
47 Lilly Ann Circle
Council Member Ward 2, Position 1
55 Willow Lake